Picture this: you’ve just finished crafting the perfect piece of content for your brand, but you’re not quite sure how to categorize it or where it fits into your content strategy. Enter the 3H model, a powerful framework developed by YouTube and Google to help marketers structure their content and maximize its impact. In this post, I’ll break down the 3H model’s components – Hero, Hub, and Help – and share insights on how you can effectively leverage this approach to elevate your content marketing game.
The 3H Model Explained
The 3H model is built on three distinct types of content: Hero, Hub, and Help. Each type serves a unique purpose and appeals to different audience needs.
- Hero Content: This is the big, attention-grabbing content that you create to raise brand awareness and reach a broad audience. Hero content is typically produced less frequently and focuses on storytelling and high production value. Examples include product launches, high-quality commercials, and viral videos.
- Hub Content: Hub content is designed to engage and entertain your core audience. It is created regularly to keep your audience coming back for more and to build a strong relationship with them. Hub content can include blog posts, podcasts, webinars, and behind-the-scenes content that showcases your brand’s personality and values.
- Help Content: Help content focuses on addressing the specific needs and pain points of your audience. This type of content is highly targeted and often educational, offering solutions, tips, and how-to guides. Help content positions your brand as an industry expert and builds trust with your audience.
Leveraging the 3H Model in Your Content Marketing Strategy
To make the most of the 3H model, consider the following best practices:
- Balance Your Content Mix: While it’s essential to have a healthy mix of Hero, Hub, and Help content, it’s crucial to strike the right balance based on your brand’s goals and resources. As a general rule, focus on producing more Hub and Help content and less frequent, high-impact Hero content.
- Optimize for Each Content Type: Each type of content in the 3H model requires a unique approach to optimize its performance. For Hero content, invest in high-quality production and promotion. For Hub content, focus on consistency and engaging storytelling. For Help content, ensure that it is relevant, useful, and easy to understand.
- Align Content with Your Brand Values: Regardless of the content type, ensure that it aligns with your brand’s values and messaging. This will help build a consistent brand image and strengthen your connection with your audience.
Real-life Examples of the 3H Model in Action
GoPro, the action camera company, excels at using the 3H model in its content marketing. Its Hero content includes breathtaking commercials and product launch videos, while its Hub content features user-generated videos and behind-the-scenes stories. GoPro’s Help content comprises tutorial videos and how-to guides to assist customers in getting the most out of their cameras.
Email marketing platform Mailchimp is another excellent example of the 3H model in practice. Their Hero content includes attention-grabbing ad campaigns, their Hub content consists of insightful blog posts and podcasts, and their Help content focuses on educational resources like guides and webinars.
The 3H model, with its Hero, Hub, and Help content categories, provides a comprehensive framework for structuring your content marketing strategy. By understanding the unique purposes of each content type and aligning them with your brand’s goals and values, you can create a well-rounded content plan that captivates, engages, and educates your audience. As you explore the 3H model, remember to find the right balance between Hero, Hub, and Help content to maximize your content marketing efforts. By doing so, you’ll be well on your way to creating memorable experiences for your audience, building strong relationships, and ultimately, driving business success.
Further Reading Links
- The 3H Model by Google & YouTube: A Comprehensive Introduction https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/marketing-resources/content-marketing/youtube-playbook-topic/
- Content Marketing with the 3H Model: A Practical Guide https://www.contentmarketinginstitute.com/2018/03/hero-hub-help-content-marketing/
- Case Studies: Companies Successfully Implementing the 3H Model https://www.socialmediatoday.com/content/hero-hub-hygiene-youtube-publishing-model/
- A Deeper Dive into the 3H Model and Its Application to Different Industries https://marketingland.com/youtubes-hero-hub-help-content-strategy-applied-b2b-niche-content-129014
- How to Integrate the 3H Model into Your Content Marketing Strategy https://www.skyword.com/contentstandard/storytelling/hero-hub-help-the-content-strategy-google-wants-brands-to-adopt/
These further reading links provide you with additional information and insights on the 3H model and how to effectively implement it in your content marketing. Enjoy reading and deepening your knowledge!